Pittsburg Scenes - Transportation
   
St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad
"The Frisco"
Home | Pittsburg Scenes | Contact Me
       
 
Click an image to see a larger version.
 
         
Frisco Passenger Depot
2nd & Broadway
- photo abt 1895
Frisco Passenger Depot
2nd & Broadway
- photo date unknown
"courtesy of Dorothy Benskin, Crawford County Genealogical Society"
Frisco Yards
2nd & Pine
- postmarked 1908
Frisco Railroad Ad
- photo 1951
Pittsburg Diamond Jubilee Souviner Program
Third Frisco Passenger Depot
2nd & Broadway
- photo abt 1960
 
 
         
Immigrant Park & Pritchett Pavilion on old Frisco Depot Site
2nd & Broadway
- photo 2013
Frisco Freight Depot
4th between Locust & Elm
- photo 2013
Frisco Freight Depot
4th between Locust & Elm
- photo 2013

Frisco Freight Depot
4th between Locust & Elm
- photo 2014

Frisco Freight Depot
4th between Locust & Elm
- photo 2014
 
 

The St. Louis & San Francisco Railway, more commonly known as the Frisco, lays claim to being the first railroad to arrive in Pittsburg in 1880 after purchasing the Girard and Joplin Railway. The Frisco built their first freight depot on the southeast corner of Second and Broadway south of their railroad tracks. In about 1895 they built a larger passenger depot on the northwest corner of Second and Broadway across from their old depot and near the Europa Hotel. At the same time a new freight house was built on the northeast corner of Second and Pine. The Frisco also had an Engine House located at the southeast corner of Second & Elm from about 1890 to about 1910. In about 1900 they decided to build another passenger depot on the southeast corner of 4th and Locust, but instead leased it to the Santa Fe railroad until 1928 when they tore it down and built a new freight house on the location a few years later. Sometime about 1940, the Frisco tore down their passenger depot at Second and Broadway and built a new depot further back on the same lot and moved their freight building to Fourth and Locust. In the early 2000's the site of the old Frisco passenger depot, which had sat empty for many years, became Immigrant Park with the Pritchett Pavilion built on the site. The pavilion has the same roof outline as the Frisco depot built in 1895.

 
 
         
Frisco Motor Car #2121
- photo (Built 1925)
Frisco Motor Car #2121
- photo (Built 1925)
Frisco Motor Car #2121
- photo (Built 1925)
 
 
 

History of Frisco Motor Car 2121

Built by the Electro-Motive Company in St. Louis for the Frisco Railway, No. 2121 was delivered in October 1925. It was a Baggage-Coach combination that cost $65,000.00 to build. It was 58' 3" long with an all steel body and a 200 horse power Winton engine. The interior had a seating capacity of 49 and was finished in mahogany paneling and yellow pine floor. Unique to this car was the roof which was constructed of a steel frame with wood decking and covered with a canvas roof. Frisco No. 2121 was put into service running the line between Afton, OK, Joplin, MO and Columbus, KS. retiring from service on January 30, 1952. I am not sure where these pictures were taken but on the back of each one is a stamp that says Graves Studios The Photographers of Pittsburg Kansas.

 
 
         

Frisco Depot
SW corner 2nd & Broadway
- map 1885
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map

Frisco Depot
SW corner 2nd & Broadway
- map 1892
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Frisco Engine House
SE corner 2nd & Elm
- map 1892
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Frisco Depot & Freight House
2nd from Broadway to Pine
- map 1897
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Frisco Depot & Freight House
2nd from Broadway to Pine
- map 1902
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
 
 
         

Frisco Engine House
SE corner 2nd & Elm
- map 1902
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map

Frisco Depot & Freight House
2nd from Broadway to Pine
- map 1905
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Frisco Engine House
SE corner 2nd & Elm
- map 1905
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Frisco Depot & Freight House
2nd from Broadway to Pine
- map 1913
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Frisco Depot & Freight House
2nd from Broadway to Pine
- map 1923
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
 
 
         

Frisco Passenger Depot
2nd & Broadway
- map 1944
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map

Frisco Freight House
4th between Locust & Elm
- map 1944
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
     
 
 
         
The Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis Railroad began in 1865 as the Kansas and Neosho Railroad with investors from southern Missouri and Arkansas. After consolidations with other railroad branches the name changed several times. In 1868, the Missouri River, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad, 1879 the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad.Finally in 1888 after completing a line from Springfield, MO to Memphis, TN it became the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Memphis Railroad. The railroad competed with the Frisco Railroad for some of the same lines took partial control of the KC, Ft. Scott and Memphis Railroad in 1901 and getting full ownership in 1928. The KC, Ft. Scott and Memphis Railroad Passenger and Freight Depot was located on the south side of East Fourth between Locust and Elm. After taking control of the railroad, the Frisco torn down the depot and built a new one for themselves but instead decided to lease it to the Sante Fe Railroad who occupied it until about 1928 when it was torn down and the Frisco Freight Depot was built on the site.

Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis Railroad
4th between Locust & Elm
- map 1892
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map

Kansas City, Fort Scott & Memphis Railroad
4th between Locust & Elm
- map 1897
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map

 

 

pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2008 - 2014