Pittsburg Scenes - Theatres
 
  v Home
v
Pittsburg Scenes
v
Theatres
v
Contact Me
Midland Theatre
414 N. Broadway
1926 - 1959
 
 

Midland Theatre - photo about 1944
- photo courtesy of Bobbi, former owner of Harry's Cafe

 
 

The Klock Theatre closed on June 1, 1926 and reopened on Labor Day, September 6, 1926 as the new Midland Theatre with the movie “The Mantrap” with Clara Bow, the ‘IT’ girl of theatre during that time. The film was the theatrical adaptation of Sinclair Lewis’ book by the same name and was directed by Victor Fleming who also directed Gone With The Wind and The Wizard of OZ. The location, 414 N. Broadway, had been home to a theatre since about 1909 when the Electric Theatre opened and later became the Klock Theatre in 1916. In April of 1926, the Midland Theatre & Realty Company headquartered in Kansas City, signed leases on both the Klock Theatre and the Colonial Theatre. Soon after it was announced that the architectural firm the Boller Brothers would design and oversee a major remodeling of the Klock theatre. The Boller Brothers, Carl and Robert, of Kansas City specialized in theatre design and are credited with the design of nearly 100 classic theatres in the Midwest during the first half of the 20th century. The remodeling and redesign of the Klock would cost about $30,000. It was remodeled in a modern Spanish style with a new terra cotta façade of dull glazed cream tile with ivory accents, reconfiguring of the lobby with a new red tile floor and white tile walls with blue, orange, gray, mulberry and gold color tints mixed in, a new plush red carpet throughout, a new gold cloth stage curtain, new theatre seats, a new red tile roof and a new Hope Jones pipe organ. Probably the most visual addition to the outside of the theatre was a large new 38-foot marquee expanding the length of the front and extending 12 feet over the sidewalk with the words Midland. This marquee would be removed after the theatre closed in 1959 and replace the older Colonial theatre marquee with the word Midland removed and replaced with the word Fox. The Midland was a first run theatre showing featuring shows by First National, Metro-Goldwyn, United Artists and Paramount Pictures. In 1930, Fox West Coast Theatres purchased the Midland Theatre & Reality Company, which included their theatre circuit leases of about 60 theatres, including the Midland, Colonial and Grand theatres in Pittsburg. In 1959, the Fox Companies decided not to renew their lease on the Midland Theatre and only retain one theatre in Pittsburg the Colonial, which was renamed the Fox. The Midland was officially closed later that year and sold to Dr. F. H, Rush who owned the building north of the theatre. The building remained empty until 1973 when it was torn down and the Teachers Credit Union built their current building on the site.

 
 
Midland Theatre Images
Click on an item to see a larger image
   
Midland Theatre Opening Ad
- Pittsburg Daily Headlight Sept 3, 1926
Midland Theatre Opening Ad
- Pittsburg Daily Headlight Sept 5, 1926
 
 
Colonial/Fox Theatre Articles
*PDH = Pittsburg Daily Headlight
 
  • "Open New Midland Sept. 6. Remodeled Place, Once Known as Klock, Beautiful Showhouse" - PDH, Aug 28, 1926

 

 
updated May 27, 2008
pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2008