Pittsburg Scenes - Schools
 
  Back to Pittsburg Schools
Second Pittsburg School
between 9th & 10th on N. Broadway
1884 - 1889
Home | Pittsburg Scenes | Contact Me

Click on an image to see a larger version      
       
       
   
  Second School Building
- enlarged photo from 1887 reprint
 
       


On 14 June 1883 at a school board meeting it was decided to have a special election on 25 June 1883 to issue $10,000 in bonds to build Pittsburg first all brick school building on the west side of North Broadway between 9th and 10th streets. The bond issue passed and the contract to build the school was awarded to local contractors Craig, Sullivan and Gibbs. The new 2-story, eight room school building was completed and handed over to the school district on 9 May 1884 at a total cost of $12,000, about $300,000 today. Each room has a seating capacity of 50 students on the first and second story with the third floor being a large room capable of seating 300-500 people and would be used for meetings and entertainment. It soon became known unofficially as the Granby School since it was located near the Granby Smelter which was located north of 14th Street.The first principal of the new school was D. E. Pence, who later became superintendant in 1891. When the school was built, Pittsburg didn't have a high school so one of the rooms of the building was set aside for students to learn high school curriculum. The first graduating senior class was 4 years later in 1888 with six students, Amelia Beasley, Martha Beasley, George Playter, Ambrose B. Shout, Nona Shout and Alice Wood. Also in 1888, the school district began charging students who lived outside the district $2.50 a month to attend the high school. In August 1889, the North School was built at 1701 N. Locust which was a more suitable location for students in the northern part of town and the building on N. Broadway was sold to B. H. Wilson and Company for $20,000. The building was torn down and the Pittsburg Bicycle Company built their new plant and store on the site a few years later.


"School Building" The Pittsburg Headlight [Pittsburg Kansas] 17 May 1888: 2. Newspapers.com. Web
"Pittsburg School System Started in 2-Room Building." Pittsburg Daily Headlight [Pittsburg Kansas] May 1926: H1.Print
McNally, Edward T. "Two-Room School Evolved into Complex System." Pittsburg Almanac, 1876-1976. 1976: 43-44. Print

 
pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2008-2015