Pittsburg Scenes - Schools
 
  Back to Pittsburg Schools
Pittsburg High School #1
Home | Pittsburg Scenes | Contact Me

807 N. Broadway
 
Click on an image to see a larger version
         

Pittsburg High School
- newspaper photo 1904

Pittsburg High School
- postmarked 1907
Pittsburg High School
- postmark 1908
Pittsburg High School
- postmarked 1910
Pittsburg High School
- postmarked 1912
 
 
         

Pittsburg High School
- no postmark (c1907-1914)

Pittsburg High School
- no postmark (c1907-1914)
Pittsburg High School
- photo 1915
   

In 1900 as Pittsburg continued growing a need for another grade school became evident. The board of education scheduled a vote to raise $50,000 to build the new school but as a high school with manual training instead of a new grade school. A Manual Training High School was a fairly new concept in Kansas and Pittsburg would be the first school built in the state with this concept. The bond issue passed and ground was broke on July 28, 1902 for the new school at 807 North Broaday between 8th and 9th streets at a cost of $35,000. The building was designed by an architect from Vinennis, Indiana and was considered of unique design at the time. The contractors hired were Dietre & Wenzell of Joplin with G, J. Munn of Pittsburg as project manager. The 3 story building with a basement was constructed out of local brick with Carthage stone and terre cotta accents. There were two entrances one on the 8th street side and the main facing east on Broadway. It was the first school in the city to be totally devoted to high school curriculum. By 1918, the city schools were once again busting at the seams with some grade school class rooms having 64 pupils to one teacher. It was decided by the school board to put forth a bond issue in 1921 for $475,000 to build a new high school with the old high school housing 7th and 8th grades as a Junior High. After the new high school was built in 1921 at 1310 N. Broadway, this building was renamed Roosevelt Junior High School in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt. The building was torn down about 1940 after a new addition to the high school was built and the students of Roosevelt Junior High moved the year before.


 

 
 
pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2008-2015