Pittsburg Scenes - Churches
 
  Home
   
  Street Scenes
   
  Residential
   
  Buildings/Businesses
   
  Schools
   
  Parks
   
  Churches
   
  Theatres
   
  PSU
   
  Medical
   
  Hotels
   
  Newspapers
   
  Mining
   
  Smelting
   
  Cemeteries
     
  Contact Me
   

 

The United Presbyterian Church
Southwest Corner of Fourth & Broadway
   
United Presbyterian Church - SW corner Fourth & Walnut
- postmarked 1915
United Presbyterian Church - SW corner Fourth & Walnut
- abt 1916 - contributed by Aaron Hurt
 
 
United Presbyterian Church - SW corner Fourth & Walnut
- photo postcard (c1915-1930) - contributed by Aaron Hurt
United Presbyterian Church - SW corner Fourth & Walnut
- abt 1916 - contributed by Aaron Hurt
 
 
United Presbyterian Church - SW corner Fourth & Walnut
- drawing 1981 - contributed by Aaron Hurt
Columns from the United Presbyterian Church
Sigma Chi Fraternity 1714 S. Broadway
- photo - contributed by Aaron Hurt
 
 
The United Presbyterian Church was founded 29 April 1890 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Alexander with 12 charter members. Reverend J. H. Gibson was asked by the Beulah United Presbyterian Church to organize a congregation in Pittsburg where he became the first pastor of the church from 1891 till 1901 when his health forced him to retire. The first congregants met in various homes of members and on the second floor of a building on the northwest corner of Third and Broadway. They were meeting in the old Methodist Church at the corner of 5th and Pine where the Memorial Auditorium is when they built and dedicated a new much larger building on the southwest corner of 4th and Walnut on 21 May 1916. In 1918, Rev. H. Harper Hutchman became the pastor of the United Presbyterian Church and during his first year, the First Congregational Church located at 3rd and Walnut voted to unite with the UP church, starting on February 8, 1919. Rev. Hutchman served until 1940 when he retired at age 78. On January 1, 1986 the two Presbyterian churches in Pittsburg decided to merge and meet in the First Presbyterian Church building at 6th & Pine. The United Presbyterian church property was sold and the building was torn down a few years later with the Roman columns from the front of the church used on the front of the new Sigma Chi Epsilon fraternity house at 1714 S. Broadway across the street from PSU.
For a more complete history of both the United Presbyterian Church and the First Presbyterian Church in Pittsburg, please visit the website of the Presbyterian Church of Pittsburg and then clicking on the Heritage link on the site.
 
Back to Pittsburg Churches Main Page
 
pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2008 - 2009