Pittsburg Scenes - Churches
 
  Home
   
  Street Scenes
   
  Residential
   
  Buildings/Businesses
   
  Schools
   
  Parks
   
  Churches
   
  Theatres
   
  PSU
   
  Medical
   
  Hotels
   
  Newspapers
   
  Mining
   
  Smelting
   
  Cemeteries
     
  Contact Me
   

 

Methodist Episcopal Church
Northeast Corner Eighth & Locust
- no postmark (c1901-1907)

 
Old Tabernacle Methodist Church
Northwest Corner Fifth & Pine
- photo circa 1890
- courtesy Dorothy Benskin Crawford County Genealogical Society
 
   
Methodist Episcopal Church
Northeast Corner Eighth & Locust
- no postmark (c1907-1914)
 
   
 
First Methodist Episcopal Church
Southwest Corner Fifth & Pine
- postmarked 1914
 
 
First Methodist Episcopal Church
Southwest Corner Fifth & Pine
- photo from Prosperous Pittsburg Pictorially Portrayed 1915
 
 
First Methodist Episcopal Church
Southwest Corner Fifth & Pine
- no postmark (c1915-1930)
 
The Methodist Church in Pittsburg began when circuit riders associated with the Mulberry Grove conference rode through the area in 1878, with some of the first services being held in the Kidder School west of Pittsburg. After meeting in various homes for the first few years the members decided that they needed a more permant location. The group was approached by the Tabernacle Methodist Church in Philadelphia, PA with a large donation to build a building if they would call themselves the Tabernacle Methodist Church. A brick building was constructed on the northwest corner of Fifth & Pine, where the Memorial Auditorium is today, and they took the Tabernacle name. The group soon became large enough that the Methodist conference created the Pittsburg-Opolis conference and once again the members began talking about needing a larger building. They discussed adding onto their currrent one but decided they needed a much larger space that would facilitate growth. In June 1892 a new brick church was dedicated on the northeast corner of Eighth and Locust, just south of the new Catholic church. They also changed their name back to the Methodist Episcopal church. By 1911 the church had once again outgrown their building and a discussion began about either building a new larger building or dividing the church into a north congregation and building a new church in the southern area of town for a south congregation. However, it was decided not to divide, so on land donated by member A. H. Lanyon on the southwest corner of Fifth and Pine, directly across the street from where the original church had been, they built a new church that was dedicated in September of 1914. In 1939 the Methodist Episcopal, the Methodist Episcopal South and the Methodist Protestant merged to become the First Methodist church. In 1948 the building was extensively remodeled and the large stone porch entrance was removed. A large annex was added to the south side of the building in the early 1970's and after the YMCA, which was directly south, closed in the early 1980's that building was purchased and torn down adding room for more growth to the south.

 

 
pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2012