Pittsburg Scenes - Churches
 
  Home
     
  Street Scenes
     
  Residential
     
  Buildings/Businesses
     
  Schools
     
  Parks
     
  Churches
     
  Theatres
     
  PSU
     
  Medical
     
  Hotels
     
  Newspapers
     
  Mining
     
  Smelting
     
  Transportation
   
  Cemeteries
     
  Biographies
     
  Contact Me
 

The table below is a list of churches and places of worship that have been in Pittsburg. Most of the information came from city directories and the Pittsburg Almanac. Clicking on a link will take you to a page with more information and images of that church. If you would like to donate pictures or if you have any further information you would like to share on any of the churches, please email me.

 
First Baptist Church
Southeast corner
7th & Walnut

First Church of
Christ Scientist
302 W. Euclid

First Christian Church
705 Centennial Drive
First Congregational Church
306 W. Third
First Methodist Church
Southwest corner 5th & Pine
 
First Presbyterian Church
Southeast corner 6th & Pine

Mt. Hebron Church
310 E. Tenth
St. Mary's Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
Northeast corner
9th & Locust
St. John's Lutheran Church
306 W. Third
St. Peter's Episcopal Church
306 W. Euclid
 
     
United Brethren Church
405 S. Locust

United Presbyterian Church
Northwest corner
4th & Walnut

     
 
 
Name of Church
Address
Notes
Bethel AME Church 407 W. Eighth
The Bethel AME church was organized in 1884 with a permanent building at 407 W. Eighth being built in 1919 with a parsonage just east of it. It was last listed in the city directory in 1985.
Assembly of God Church 607 N. Joplin Organized in 1919
Countryside Christian Church 1900 E. Fourth Organized in 1965 as the Central Christian Church - Website
Church of Christ 802 Centennial Drive
Organized in 1951 and built first permanent building at 109 E. Washington in 1953. They moved to their current location in 1980 - Website
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 1507 S. Rouse  
Church of the Nazarene 900 E. Fourth
Started as a tent church holding a series of revivals at the corner of Fourth and Tucker in the summer of 1920. They were such a success that a group of about 100 members charted the church and raised enough money to build a building across the street from the tent that was completed in December 1920. In 1978 as the congregation grew they built a new larger church at 816 E. Quincy and became known as the First Church of the Nazarene. - Website
College Heights Methodist Church 1901 S. Taylor
Result of the merger of the United Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968
Community Christ Church 701 S. Walnut
The Reorganized Church of the Latter Day Saints was established in Pittsburg in 1885 and until 1930 met in the Redman Hall on West Third. In May 1930 the church purchased a house at Forest and Walnut, remodeling it into a functional church. They are now part of the Community Christ Church. - Website
Grace United Methodist Church 1903 E. Elm
In August 1947, the house of Mrs. Hanna Harlin was purchased and turned into the new home of the Elm Street Methodist Church. The name was changed to Grace United Methodist Church a few years later. In 1948 an abandoned school house was purchased and moved next to the house and was remodeled it for services. On April 12, 1953 ground was broke on the site for a new building with more class rooms. This building opened on April 11, 1954.
New Hope Baptist Church 213 W. Eleventh
Founded in 1896 in the home of Rev. M. Pickins. A frame building was purchased in 1909 on the present site of the Pittsburg Middle School. The city purchased the property in 1924 for a new High School and the church moved their buildng to the site on West Eleventh.
The Salvation Army 307 E. Fifth
Founded in England in 1885, the Salvation Army reached Pittsburg in 1889. They rented various halls and room throughout the community until 1913 when they built their first permanent citadel on East Fourth between Locust and Elm on the north side. In the early 1970's a new citadel was built by donations on the corner of Fifth and Elm.
South Broadway Baptist Church 1322 S. Broadway
A group of Baptists met in January 1934 and decided to organize a new church in the southern part of Pittsburg. It received its charter on March 8, 1934 and began meeting in property rented and later purchased at 1106 S. Broadway. On February 21, 1939 fire struck the church burning down the building and its contents. The church met in the chapel of the Smith Funeral Home until a new building was built on the northwest corner of South Broadway and Carlton, which was dedicated on January 14, 1940. - Website
Trinity Southern Baptist Church 301 E. Washington
The church was founded on January 26, 1948 with 59 members. They initially met at the Baptist Student Center at 111 East Cleveland until a more permanent building could be secured. In June 1948 a frame building was moved to the address on E. Washington from Camp Crowder in Missouri. In 1950 a new brick building was built on the site.
Zion Lutheran Church 100 W. Jackson
Organized in 1876 a group of Lutheran families formed the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession of Baker Township, Crawford County, Kansas. They built a 35 x 16 building to serve as church, school and residence for the paster on two acres south of the intersection of Quincy and Rouse currently the site of the Zion Lutheran Cemetery. They continued expanding their church until in 1889 they purchased some land in the 900 block of East Washington and built a new building at a cost of $1,850. The old church on Rouse was turned into a school. In 1896 they built a larger school near the cemetery. This school was moved to the East Washington site in 1921. Services during this time were delivered in German and wasn't until 1917 that English was introduced into the sermons. In 1939, the church purchased the site of the old Steinhauser Greenhouse on the corner of Jackson and South Broadway and built a new church. In 1947 they moved the old school building which had closed in 1943 to the Jackson site while a new stone building wsa built. The new building was Dedicated in April 1954. - Website
 
pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2012