Pittsburg Scenes - Buildings & Businesses
       
  v Home
v
Pittsburg Scenes
v
Buildings/Businesses
v
Contact Me
Y.M.C.A
Northwest Corner Fourth & Pine
Built 1910 - Lost 1980's
 
 
Click on an image to see a larger version
 
Y. M. C. A.
- no postmark (c1907-1914)
Y. M. C. A.
- postmarked 1909
Y. M. C. A.
- postmarked 1909
         
         
 
Y. M. C. A.
- postmarked 1912
Y. M. C. A.
- postmarked 1913
Y. M. C. A.
- postmarked 1916
 
         
 
The Pittsburg YMCA opened its first location on Friday, April 22, 1887 in the second floor rooms of the Kansas & Texas Coal Company building located on the southwest corner of 6th and Broadway. The next morning The Daily Headlight reported that the “YMCA rooms were opened last evening, and many of Pittsburg’s fair young ladies called. They were pleased with their reception, and consented to assist the young men in further adorning and furnishing the apartments of the association.” Besides small apartment rooms for men, there was a commons room that served as reading and meeting space where papers, periodicals and books were supplied. As the YMCA was founded and ran on Christian principals, women weren’t allowed access to the facility except during devotionals and socials. After a few years, space was acquired above the Beck and Hill Meat Market at 303 N. Broadway that was used as a gymnasium and auditorium. During the week the room was used as a gym and on Sunday’s the equipment was cleared and chairs set up for an afternoon worship service. In 1906 a capital fund drive was began for a permanent building. Construction started in 1907 on a building on the southwest corner of 4th and Pine, south of the Methodist Church. The new building was completed in October 1910 at a cost of $57,000 and dedicated on Thanksgiving that year. The new Pittsburg YMCA contained the only indoor swimming pool and gymnasium in the area at that time. It also contained a cafeteria and dormitory rooms and apartments for men only. In the 1950’s the apartments became co-ed and allowed women to rent the rooms. During the 1917 flue epidemic, the YMCA was converted into a temporary community hospital for the many overflow patients from the Mt. Carmel Hospital. After 50 years of 1000’s of men and boys using the building it began showing signs of wear and tear and was in need of a facelift. A fund drive in 1956 raised $300,000 for repair and modernization. Currently the Pittsburg YMCA is located at 1100 N. Miles in a larger state-of-the-art building that was built in the 1980’s. The old YMCA building was purchased by the Methodist church and torn down to make room for a building expansion of their own.
 
 
updated August 2013

pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2008-2013