Pittsburg Scenes - Buildings & Businesses
      Home | Pittsburg Scenes | Contact Me
   
Masonic Temple
Northeast Corner Sixth & Pine
Built 1910 - Lost 1999
 
 
Click on an image to see a larger version
 
Masonic Temple
- no postmark (c1907-1914)
Masonic Temple
- postmarked 1912
Masonic Temple
- no postmark (c1915-1930)
Masonic Temple Stonework
- photo 2006
Masonic Temple Stonework
- photo 2006
         
 
 
Cornerstone Masonic Temple
- photo 2006
Lodge Room - Masonic Temple
"75 Years of Masonry Pittsburg Lodge No. 187 A.F. & A.M."
- photo 1954
Original Dispensation
Granted 26 June 1879
"75 Years of Masonry Pittsburg Lodge No. 187 A.F. & A.M."
- photo 1954
Edwin D. Hillyer
Grand Master 1878
"75 Years of Masonry Pittsburg Lodge No. 187 A.F. & A.M."
- photo 1954
Officers of Pittsburg Lodge, 1954
"75 Years of Masonry Pittsburg Lodge No. 187 A.F. & A.M."
- photo 1954
         

When Pittsburg was just beginning its journey into becoming a city, a group of Free Masons in the area held a meeting in the Joplin Railroad Depot about organizing a Lodge of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons (A.F & A.M). The men chose Charles W. Long as chairman and A. J. Georgia as their secretary. The date was 27 Jan 1879. They authorized Georgia to approach the Girard Lodge No. 93 A.F. & A.M. to solicit the Grand Master. The group met again on 3 Feb 1879 after meeting with the Girard Lodge and selected Long as Worshipful Master, J. W. Jennings as Senior Warden and A. Baxter as Junior Warden. Their job was to draft a petition to be granted to the Grand Master for consideration of a new lodge. On 26 June 1879, their dispensation for a new lodge was accepted. The first regular meeting of the new Pittsburg Lodge was held 1 July 1879 with 13 members and new officers were elected.The group was granted an official charter on 16 Oct 1879 and given the name Pittsburg Lodge No. 187 Ancient Free & Accepted Masons. After a few years, the members wished to have higher degrees or Masonic bodies. A charter was issued on 21 March 1881 for the Pittsburg Royal Arch Masons. The Knights of Templar was organized on 9 June 1888.
The three Masonic groups met in various buildings including the Globe building at 4th and Broadway. They purchased a lot on the northeast corner of Sixth and Pine with the cornerstone for the new temple being laid on 21 June 1910. The 2-story building was designed by O. A. Cook and built by Asa Messenger. It was dedicated on 23 May 1911 and included meeting rooms on the second floor and the first floor a dining room. The building at the corner of Sixth & Pine was torn down in January 1999 because of it being in need of major repairs. The ornate arches were left standing as reminders of the buildings footprint and marks the entrance to a city parking lot that now is on the location.

 
Original 13 Members:
C. W. Long
J. W. Jennings
A. Baxter
J. W. Spicer
A. J. Georgia
M. W. Snow
Wm. H. Welch
D. S. Miller
Alfred Wilson
Stephen Barr
S. W. Johnson
D. F. D. Pomeroy
A. V. Ralston
 
Sources:
"Pittsburg Almanac 1876-1976"
"75 Years of Masonry, Pittsburg Lodge No. 187 A.F. & A.M.", 1954
 
 
 

Updated September 2013

pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2008 - 2013