CRAWFORD COUNTY, KANSAS

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Other Towns & Coal Camps of Crawford County, KS

Coalville

Map of Coalville, "The Official State Atlas of Kansas, " L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1887
 

Croweburg

"A village of Crawford county, is a station on the Joplin & Pittsburg electric line and about 8 miles east of Girard, the county seat. It has an international money order post office, some local trade, and in 1910 reported a population of 125." - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.
 

Curranville

"A thriving town in the eastern part of Crawford county, is a station on the Kansas City Southern RR about 12 miles east of Girard, the count seat. It is situated in the coal fields, mining is the principal industry. It has a money order post office, some well stocked general stores, telephone connections, etc. Curranville was incorporated in 1906 and in 1910 reported a population of 773." - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.
 

Drywood

"Drywood rises three miles northwest of Farlington. Bone Creek empties into Drywood about two miles east of Cato. First county bridge in township was across Bone Creek, a mile and one-half east of Hatch school house." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 

Franklin

"A village of Crawford county, is a station on the Joplin & Pittsburg electric railroad, about 8 miles east of Girard, the county seat. It has a money order post office and is a trading center for that section of the county. The population in 1910 was 150." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 

Fuller

"A town of Crawford county, with a population of 351 in 1910, is a station on the Kansas City Southern RR 10 miles east of Girard, the county seat. It has a money order post office, telegraph and express offices, telephone connections, a good local trade, etc. Coal mining is the principal industry, and large quantities of coal are shipped from Fuller annually." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 

Green Elm

"Green Elm is also a post office on Hickory Creek about five miles southwest of Idell." - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 

Idell

Idell Post Office was established in June, 1870, C. W. McCloud being appointed Postmaster. It is situated on Hickory Creek. A Catholic Church is located two miles to the northeast. - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 

Iowa City

"Iowa City was situated two miles southeast of the present site of Pittsburg. It never contained more than a store and a residence, both owned by Isaac Hobson, who located there in the fall of 1866. It is now famous on account of the speech delivered there by Hon. Sidney Clarke, an extract from which may be found elsewhere." - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 
"Among the postoffices that were established in an early day, and which have long since been discontinued, by reason of the advent of railroads, we mention Iowa City, which was kept by George Hobson, two miles south and one-half mile east of Pittsburg." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 

Litchfield

Litchfield is located four miles northeast of New Pittsburg. It is a coal town in every sense, about 500 car loads of coal being shipped each month. There are here a post office, public school, a general store, a drug store, two blacksmith shops, a wagon shop and about 200 inhabitants. - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 
Map of Litchfield, "The Official State Atlas of Kansas, " L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1887
 

Lone Oak

Map of Lone Oak, "The Official State Atlas of Kansas, " L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1887
 

Yale

A mining town in Crawford county, is located in Washington township on the Missouri Pacific RR, 12 miles east of Girard, the county seat. It has general stores, telephone connections, telegraph and express offices, boarding houses, and an international money order post office. The population in 1910 was 862. - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.
 

Photos

Yale Residence
- photo early 1900's (courtesy Gene DeGrusen, PSU Axe Library)