Crawford County, Kansas
 
 

Mulberry

 

Founded about 1866 by N. W. Taylor and called Mulberry Grove. It was hoped that its location being in a grove of Mulberry trees that along with silk worms Mulberry would become the silk capital of the United States

 
More About Mulberry
"Mulberry Grove is a mining town in the eastern part of the county, on the Cherryvale Division of the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. It is surrounded by a fine farming country, and presents the crude and rustic appearance of all new mining towns." - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 
"On the north side of the ridge, which is partly in Lincoln and partly in Washington townships, and near the state line, in the early days of the settling up of Crawford county stood a beautiful grove of wild mulberry trees. Here the Osage Indians frequently camped when on their hunting expeditions. From the top of the ridge, back of the grove, the red men could look far away to the northeast and south, and no enemy or wild game could approach without being discovered. When the military road was established between Fort Scott and Fort Gibson it passed within a few rods of this beautiful grove, and the place became the camping ground of the frontiersman in his lonely journey. When white men began to settle the county the land where the grove stood was taken by N. W. Taylor, who secured a large tract of the richest of lands. In 1866 a stage line was established on the military road, and a postoffice granted the people, which was named Mulberry Grove. When the Cherryvale division of the Gulf Railroad was built, a town was laid out and named Mulberry. Among the first to locate in the town were A. M. and Jesse Brown, two brothers, who came from Ohio. Churches, schools, a mill, several stores, hotels and all the things that serve to make a town have been established at Mulberry. About 1871 mines were opened near the town, and have increased in volume of business until extensive mining is carried on, and Mulberry has become an extensive shipping point. The Miller brothers are extensive dealers in coal, merchandise and farm implements. Excellent farms surround the town, and grain and stock-raising are the principal work of the farmers." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 
"An incorporated town in Crawford county, is located in Lincoln and Washington townships at the junction of the Kansas City Southern and the St. Louis & San Francisco railroad, 12 miles east of Girard, the county seat. It has a bank, a weekly newspaper (the News), a flour mill, all lines of retail stores, telegraph and express offices, and an international money order post office with two rural routes. The population according to the 1910 census was 997. Mulberry was founded in the late 70s as a mining town and called Mulberry Grove." - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.
 
 
Map of Mulberry Grove, "The Official State Atlas of Kansas, " L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1887