Crawford County, Kansas
 
 

Monmouth

 

Lafayette Manlove founded the town and named it after his hometown of Monmouth, Illinois. It was the third town laid out in the county and a postoffice was established in 1866. The building of a narrow-gauge railroad in 1879 from Cherokee to Parsons, Labette Co., Kansas, passed through Monmouth giving it a short burst of activity..

 
More About Monmouth
"This town is located in the southern part of Crawford County, six miles west of Cherokee, on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad. It was laid off in 1866, by L. Manlove, on his own farm. The name Monmouth was given to it after the city of Monmouth, Ill. It is the oldest town in the county. The first house erected on the site was a two-story log building, belonging to Manlove, which he occupied as store-room and residence. This house remains standing as a monument of pioneer days. The next building was erected by Ralph Warner, for a dwelling, which was followed by the erection of a residence by Dr. Moore. In 1869, A. M. Chadsey built a store-room, in which he put a stock of general merchandise. The town has made slow progress from the beginning, and now contains a population of about 400, and five business houses. The Post Office was established here in 1866. L. Manlove was the first Postmaster. He was succeeded by A. M. Chadsey in 1870, who held the office for several years, and was succeeded by Jacob Miller, the present Postmaster. The first school was taught in 1870, by Mrs. Van Bibber, and was kept in a schoolhouse that had been erected during the summer of that year. This building was burned, and another one was built in 1880. It is a one-story frame structure, containing three apartments. The town has three church organizations: the Methodist, Presbyterian and Christian. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1868. As yet this body has no church building. The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1870. The building was erected in 1873, and is a small frame. The Christian Church was organized in 1877, and the church house, which is also a small frame, was built in 1882. A society of the Ancient Order of United Workmen was organized in 1882. A Post of the Grand Army of the Republic was formed January 11, 1883. The town is situated in a fine agricultural district, in the supply of which, with the various articles of merchandise, a lively business is sustained. It is also a considerable point in the shipment of grain and produce. With such advantageous surroundings, the permanence, future growth and prosperity of the town is abundantly insured." - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 
"The town of Monmouth, so called after Monmouth, Illinois, was laid out by Lafayette Manlove, and was the third town laid out in the county. It is located six miles west of Cherokee. L. Manlove built the first building, a log store room. Ralph Warner built a residence, as also did Dr. Moore, who later represented Crawford county in the state senate. In 1869 A. M. Chadsey built a store room, and put in a stock of general merchandise. A postoffice was established in 1866, with L. Manlove postmaster. The building of a narrow-gauge railroad in the year 1879 from Cherokee to Parsons in Labette county, which passed through Monmouth, gave an impetus to the growth of the town, and good schools, churches, secret societies, and business enterprises sprang up and added materially to the conveniences of the people; which, added to the fact that the whole south end of the county is underlaid with an abundance of excellent coal, and that most excellent farming lands surround all the towns in that part of the county, has made the vicinity of Cherokee, Monmouth and McCune a very desirable location." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 
"A village in Crawford county, is located on Sheridan township on the St. Louis & San Francisco RR, 12 miles south of Girard, the county seat. It has an elevator, a few stores, churches and a school, telegraph and express offices, and a money order post office with one rural route. The population according to the census of 1910 was 179. This is said to be the oldest town in Crawford county, having been laid out by L. Manlove on his own farm in 1866. The post office was established in that year and Manlove was the first postmaster." - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.
 
 
Map of Monmouth, "The Official State Atlas of Kansas, " L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1887