Crawford County, Kansas
 
 

Midway

 

Midway was founded as a mining town on the Arcadia and Cherryvale branch of the Gulf Railway (later Frisco) in 1871. The dominant employer was The Pittsburg and Midway Coal Company.

 
More About Midway
 
"Midway is a small town in the eastern part of the county, also on the Cherryvale Division of the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, and like Mulberry its mining interests are its principal support. The post office was established in February, 1871." - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 
"MIDWAY is a mining town in Baker township, on the line of the Arcadia and Cherryvale branch of the Gulf Railway (now Frisco). A postoffice was established here in 1871. The Pittsburg and Midway Coal Company have a large store here to supply the wants of a large number of miners who work in their mines. Good schools are also provided. Large quantities of coal are shipped daily." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 
"A mining town in Crawford county, is located on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and the St. Louis & San Francisco railroads, 16 miles southeast of Girard, the county seat. The mining company maintains a general store and there is a money order post office. The town was formerly known as Nyack. The population in 1910 was 400." - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.