Crawford County, Kansas
 
 

Frontenac

 

Founded in 1886 by the Cherokee-Pittsburg Coal Company and named Santa Fe Mine No. 1. In 1887, the name was changed to Frontenac and the town was laid out by A. A. Robinson, official of the Cherokee-Pittsburg Coal Company. Where the name Frontenac came from is a mystery, but the most logical explanation is that it was named after Fort Frontenac in Canada, a source of early recrutement for the coal mines. In 1895, as more and more miners settle in the area, Frontenac became incorporated as a third-class city. On February 9, 1907, it became a second-class city. Most of the new residents were from the "old country" of France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium and Ireland. The postoffice was established on June 23, 1887 and remained until Nov. 29, 1957 when the mail delivery was switched to Pittsburg. One of the first business' in town was a store opened by Dr. J. S. Patton. It was the grocery store, dry goods store, and an undertaking business. His motto was "Everything from the Cradle to the Grave," and he was the doctor and the undertaker. Frontenac was home for the first macaroni factory in Kansas. It was started in 1906 by the Griglione family. At one time Frontenac citizens could ride the Joplin-Pittsburg Streetcar to Pittsburg for 5 cents. This service was discontinued in 1933. The first Catholic Mass was held in 1887 in the home of Andrew Walker. The first Methodist service was held 3 years later in 1890 in the Santa Fe Depot. In 1894, a small wooden church was built by the Catholics. It was also that year the the first resident pastor, Father Podgorsek came to Frontenac.

 
More About Frontenac
 
"Frontenac, located three miles north and one east of Pittsburg, is a flourishing town of two thousand inhabitants. The Santa Fe Railroad furnishes transportation to the people, while the Pittsburg Railroad trolley cars carry people to and from Pittsburg. Frontenac is the outgrowth of the Devlin or Santa Fe Coal Company. Here are located the coal shafts and offices of said company, and here most of the people employed in and about the mines live. They have built comfortable cottages for themselves and families. Excellent schools are maintained, and churches are well patronized. Several stores, a postoffice, hotels and boarding houses are well represented. The coal shafts are one hundred and twenty feet deep, where they mine forty inches of excellent coal. The Santa Fe Coal Company own several thousand acres of coal lands about Frontenac and the vicinity of Chicopee." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 
An incorporated city of the second class in Crawford county, is located 9 miles southeast of Girard, the county seat, at the junction of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and the Kansas City Southern railroads. It is also on the line of the Joplin & Pittsburg electric railway. Frontenac has a bank, international money order post office, express and telegraph service, telephone connections, several good mercantile establishments, hotels, etc. It is situated in the coal fields, and the principal industry is coal mining. A Catholic academy is at Frontenac, and the city has a good public school system. The population in 1910 was 3,396, a gain of 1591 during the preceding decade. - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.