Crawford County, Kansas
 
 

Farlington

 

Farlington was founded by the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf railroad in 1870. As the railroad pushed further south of Fort Scott, they needed to place water tanks along the route for their trains. Originally, the site became known as "The Tank". Along with the water tank, a section house for railroad workers and a store ran by Mr. Farley was built. For a brief time, it was known as Farleyville, but later the railroad changed the name to Farlington. Between 1870 and 1874, a large Swedish colony located near Farlington and the settlers worked the coal mines. A townhall was erected in 1873. The town's first postmaster was Mr. Farley. The postoffice was in Farley's store. Later, George E. Cole purchased the store and was postmaster until 1874, when he moved to Girard. In the early days of the town, children went to a school about 2 miles west of town. In 1877, the school was moved to Farlington with the protest of parents who feared their children having to cross the railroad tracks to get to the school. Mrs. Mary Hatch was the schools first teacher. In 1884, a new brick school was built.

 
More About Farlington
"Farlington. is situated on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, seven miles north of Girard. The site is as attractive as need be desired. A grove has been started, and near the town is a beautiful lake. The town contains quite a number of substantial business houses, a good schoolhouse, and a Baptist Church organization which erected an elegant church edifice near the depot in 1882. There is a wagon shop and a blacksmith shop, and the town is considerable of a shipping point for coal, nearly all of the merchants dealing in this mineral, which is mined in the vicinity." - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 
"The town of Farlington is located seven miles north of Girard on the line of the Frisco railroad, and was laid out at the building of the road in 1869. But it has not progressed as rapidly as some other towns of the county. It is a good trading point, has good schools, churches, and a postoffice and other business places. The Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad (now Frisco) planted a grove of several hundred acres of catalpa trees on the hill west of the town, which has grown into a magnificent forest, probably the most notable of the kind in the United States. From it are annually cut large quantities of excellent timber for railroad ties, fence posts, etc. Here also is a large artificial lake, formed by the grade of the railroad across a rocky ravine. The lake covers about one hundred acres, and supplies water for railroad purposes and stock water, and abounds with excellent fish." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 
"A prosperous little town of Crawford county, is a station on the St. Louis & San Francisco RR in Sherman township, 7 miles north of Girard, the county seat. It has a money order post office with one rural route, telegraph and express service, some good general stores, Christian and Methodist churches, etc. and in 1910 reported a population of 211." - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.
 
 
Map of Farlington, "The Official State Atlas of Kansas, " L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1887