Crawford County, Kansas
 
 

Chicopee

 

Founded in 1887 by John Kilholland and the Cherokee & Pittsburg Coal & Mining Co. It was first called Vermillion after the family who had owned the land that the camp was built on. Later changed to Chicopee. At one point the camp had about 1000 residents.

 
"Chicopee lies southwest of Pittsburg, and about the same distance as Frontenac on the northeast. Here is another mining village, of about one thousand population. The street cars from Pittsburg reach this town, and the Missouri Pacific and Santa Fe Railroads pass through this place. Several stores, a postoffice, boarding houses and other conveniences accommodate the people. Most of the inhabitants are of foreign birth, the Italian race predominating. The people are nearly all coal miners, and work for the several coal companies operating about Chicopee. They have good schools, which are well attended, and the children of these foreign born people are quick to get learning, and soon become excellent business men and women." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
 
"One of the principal towns of Crawford county, is located in Baker township, 13 miles southeast of Girard,,the county seat, and 4 miles southwest of Pittsburg. It is in the coal fields, and the chief occupation of the people is mining and shipping coal, the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and the Missouri Pacific railroads furnishing excellent transportation facilities. The town has a money order post office, telegraph and telephone facilities, Catholic and Protestant churches, good public schools, some well stocked stores, and in 1910 reported a population of 955." - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.