Crawford County, Kansas
 
 

Beulah

 

Founded in 1874 by the members of a Methodist Episcopal Church from Illinois, who were lookiing for a location to establish a colony for members of their church. The name Beulah is the biblical term for "Holy Land". The postoffice was opened on December 31, 1874 and closed March 15, 1955.

 

More About Beulah

"This town is located on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, five miles south of Girard. It was started in 1874 by a colony of Methodists, composed in part, of the following members: Thomas Crowder, Henry Brown, H. T. Potter, C. A. King, R. G. Hermance, J. S. Schofield and B. F. King. At that time there was but one small house in the vicinity. By the first of January there was a population of 200. The Methodist Episcopal congregation erected a church edifice in 1881. It is a handsome structure, 30x50 feet in size, and cost about $2,000. Besides the church there is a good school and a number of good business houses. Beulah now contains a population of 300." - History of the State of Kansas, William G. Cutler, 1883 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL
 
"Beulah is located on the main line of the Kansas City, Fort Scott and Gulf Railroad, about five miles south of Girard. This road is now operated by the Frisco. In the year 1874 some members of the Methodist Episcopal church formed a company for the purpose of establishing a colony, to be composed exclusively of Methodists. Among those who entered heartily into the scheme, were Rev. D. P. Mitchell, C. S. Jennis and Thomas J. Crowder, also C. A. King, H. T. Potter, Henry Brown, J. S. Schofield, R. G. Hermance and many others. Some of these lived in Iowa, some in Illinois, while others lived as far east as Pennsylvania. A committee was chosen to select a site for the company. After much travel, and examination of various locations, the lands in the vicinity of Beulah were chosen, and the members began moving to the new country, and by the close of the year two hundred persons were living in the village. Time has proved the good judgment of the committee who selected the lands. They are rich, of black, deep soil, slightly rolling, and make the very best of farms. As might have been expected the first enterprise was the erecting of a schoolhouse, and then a church. Both were large and commodious, but have been added to from time to time as necessity required. Beulah has not grown to be a big city, but as a village of good moral homes she has no superior in the county. A large number of her promoters have joined the great majority, but a few still live to enjoy the fruits of their labors." - A Twentiety Century History and Biographical Record of Crawford County, KS, Home Authors, 1905 by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL
"A village in Sheridan township, Crawford county, is a station on the St Louis & San Francisco RR 5 miles south of Girard, the county seat. It has a money order post office, express and telegraph service, a good local trade, and in 1910 reported a population of 100." - Kansas - A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Person, Etc., Frank W. Blackmar, editor, copyright 1912.
 
Map of Beulah, "The Official State Atlas of Kansas," L. H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1887