This is a list of streets and avenues with descriptions found in the 1890 directory. In 1896 some of the street names were changed entirely and others were changed due to an extension of another street. I have tried to include most of those changes. Check out the 1887 Map of Pittsburg for exact locations.
 
Adams Avenue (EastWest) – 11th street south of Fourth Street, begins Broadway and extending east and west to city limits.
Barrett Street (East/West) – 8th street north of east Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east and west to city limits. (1896 name changed to current 13th Street)
Broadway (North/South) – The dividing line, and the beginning of the numbers on all streets running east and west, begins at Fourth Street and extending north and south to city limits.
Bryant Street (East/West) – Carlton’s 1st addition. (1896 name changed to current Washington Street)
Catalpa Street (North/South) – 6th street west of South Broadway, begins Euclid Avenue, extending south to Park Avenue.
Cherry Street (East/West) – 10th street north of East Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to Neal Street (1896 name changed to current 15th Street)
Clark Street (East/West) – 7th street north of East Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to city limits (1896 name changed to current 12th Street)
College Avenue (North/South) – 4th street west of South Broadway, begins Fourth Street, extending south to Park Avenue
Eighth Street (East/West) – 4th street north of Fourth Street, begins at Broadway, extending east to Michigan Avenue, and west to city limits
Elm Street (North/South) – 2nd street east of Broadway, begins east of Clark Street, extends south to Quincy Avenue
Elliot Street (North/South) – 6th street west of South Broadway, begins Fourth Street, extending south to Euclid Avenue. (1896 name changed to current Catalpa Street)
Euclid Avenue (East/West) – 5th street south of West Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending west to city limits
Fairview Street (North/South) – 3rd street east in East Pittsburg
Fifth Street (East/West) – 1st street north of Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to Michigan Avenue, and west to Woodland Avenue
First Street (East/West) – 3rd street south of Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to Joplin Avenue and west to city limits
Forest Avenue (East/West) – 7th street south of West Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending west to Catalpa Avenue
Fourth Avenue (North/South) – 4th street east of Broadway, begins C. A. Leigton’s addition, extending south to Gulf railroad (1896 name changed to current Grand Avenue)
Fourth Street (East/West) – The dividing line and the beginning of the numbers on all streets running east and west, begins at Broadway, extending east and west to city limits
Hobart Avenue (East/West) – 6th street south of East Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to Santa Fe depot (1896 name changed to current Kansas Avenue)
Holmes Street (North/South) – in Carlton’s 1st addition
Highland Street (North/South) – 4th street east in East Pittsburg
Jackson Avenue (East/West) – 15th street south of East Fourth Street, begins South Elm, extending east to Joplin Avenue
Jefferson Avenue (East/West) – 12th street south of Fourth Street, begins Broadway extending east and west to city limits
John Street (East/West) – 9th street north of East Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to Neal Street. (1896 name changed to current 14th Street)
Joplin Avenue (North/South) – 3rd street east of Broadway, begins 4th Street, extending north and south to city limits
Kansas Avenue (East/West) – 6th street south of West Fourth street, begins Broadway, extending west to Catalpa Avenue
Lapham Avenue (North/South) – 2nd street east in Lapham addition, East Pittsburg
Locust Street (North/South) – 1st street east of Broadway, begins East Clark Street, extending south to Quincy Avenue
Longwell Avenue (East/West) – 4th street south of Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to Joplin Avenue (current East Rose)
Loveland Avenue (East/West) – 7th street south of East Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to Santa Fe railroad (1896 name changed to current Forest Avenue)
Madison Avenue (East/West) – 14th street south of East Fourth Street, begins Broadway, extending east to Joplin Avenue
Maple Street (North/South) – 8th street east of North Broadway, Leighton’s addition (1896 name changed to current Miles)
Miles Street (North/South) – 5th street west of South Broadway, begins Fourth street, extending south to Euclid Ave.
Michigan Avenue (North/South) – 6th street east of Broadway, begins C. A. Leighton’s addition, extending south to Gulf railroad.
Milton Street (East/West) – Carlton’s 1st addition (1896 name changed to current Park)
Monroe Avenue (East/West) – 13th street south of East Fourth Street, begins South Broadway, extending east to Joplin Avenue.
Neal Street (North/South) – 7th street east of North Broadway, in Leighton’s 2nd addition (1896 name changed to current Stilwell)
Ninth Street (East/West) – 5th street north of Fourth Street, begins at Broadway, extending east to Michigan Avenue, and west to Woodland Avenue
Olive Avenue (North/South) – Park Place addition (1896 name changed to current Catalpa)
Olive Street (North/South) – 3rd street west of Broadway, begins at Fourth Street, extending north to Eleventh Street and south to Park Avenue
Park Avenue (East/West) – 9th street south of Fourth street, begins Broadway, extending east and west to city limits.
Pine Street (North/South) – 1st street west of Broadway, begins Fourth Street, extending east and west to city limits.
Putman Avenue (North/South) – 1st street east in Lapham addition , East Pittsburg
Quincy Street (East/West) – 16th street south of Fourth Street, begins at Gulf railroad, extending east to city limits
Ramsey Avenue (East/West) – 8th street south of Fourth street, begins Broadway extending east to Santa Fe railroad
Rose Avenue (East/West) – 4th street south of Fourth Street, begins Broadway extending west intersecting Euclid Ave.
Russell Avenue (East/West) – 5th street south of East Fourth Street, begins Broadway extending east to Joplin Ave.
Second Street (East/West) – 2nd street south of Fourth Street begins Broadway extending east to Joplin Avenue and west to city limits
Seventh Street (East/West) – 3rd street north of Fourth Street begins at Broadway extending east to Michigan Avenue and west to Woodland Avenue
Sixth Street (East/West) – 2nd street north of Fourth Street begins Broadway extending east to Michigan Avenue and west to Woodland Avenue
Smelter Avenue (North/South) – 5th street east of Broadway begins C. A. Leighton’s addition extending to Gulf railroad.
Tenth Street (East/West) – 6th street north of Fourth Street begins Broadway extending east to Michigan Street and west to city limits
Third Street (East/West) – 1st street south of Fourth Street begins Broadway extending east to Joplin Avenue and west to Elliott Street
Virgil Street (North/South) – in Carlton’s 1st addition (1896 name changed to current Rouse Avenue)
Walnut Street (North/South) – 2nd street west of Broadway begins Fourth Street and extends north to Eleventh Street and south to Jefferson Avenue
Washington Avenue (East/West) – 10th street south of Fourth Street begins Broadway extending east and west to city limits
Warren Street (North/South) – Park Place addition
Water Street (North/South) – 5th street east in East Pittsburg
Woodland Avenue (North/South) – Park Place addition
 
 
 
pittsburgksmemories.com
copyright 2007